- Rocket Electrics specializes in selling electric assisted bikes, which can be handy for Austin’s hillier parts of town and long commutes. They provide tours and rentals, especially great if you don’t want to work up a sweat in mid-August in Central Texas. We’ve been by the shop a couple of times and rented one of their Pedego bikes. Nice people. Their Yelp reviews look strong.
- Austin Bike Tours and Rentals offers four different tours, as well as custom tours and bike rentals. The owner was also instrumental in forming the Austin Social Cycling group. Check Yelp for some great reviews.
- Barton Springs Bike Rental also offers four tours in addition to rentals, and a shuttle for people and bikes within 3 miles. Check out their Yelp reviews.
- Texas Bike Tours features several one-way, “mostly downhill” tours of Austin with optional culinary, and even “romantic culinary” experiences. Yelp has great reviews for them too.
- Explore Austin’s landmarks and craft breweries with Bike and Brew ATX. They currently offer four tours, including an unusual Domain area tour.
- MikesBikesandTours has eight different tours, including brew tours, and some more locally oriented destinations like Walnut Creek. They also operate a mobile bike rental program. Check out their website for tips on where to explore Austin on your own.
- Self-guided: Finally, check out the burgeoning craft beer scene on Austin’s east side with BeenThereBikeTour‘s original, do-it-yourself Austin Eastside Brewery and Culture Bike Tour.
Most of the above rent bikes as well. And the following shops are located near downtown:
- Austin B-cycle is a bike sharing service with a network of 24/7 on-demand bicycle stations throughout downtown, providing Austinites and visitors alike an easy, fast way to navigate the city core.
- Streamline Cycles (Yelp) operates out of a funky airstream trailer near the Austin Convention Center. Their focus seems to be rentals and service. They don’t seem to have a webpage, but they’re on Facebook.
- The Bicycle Sport Shop location at South Lamar offers bike rental.
- Mellow Johnny’s Bike Shop is owned by the erstwhile Yellow Jersey winner Lance Armstrong and offers daily rentals.
- Mike’s Bikes delivers.
- Austin is an increasingly bike friendly town with many bike shops in various parts of town….let us know if you find a great rental location.
For something a little different, Austin Water Bikes rents “water bikes” on Lady Bird Lake (formerly Town Lake). They also feature tours to see the Congress Avenue Bats right from the surface of the lake.